Monday, October 27, 2008

What a birthday weekend.....







I had a great birthday weekend. Saturday was spent drooling over garden plants.....shopping at a resale shop.....a BBQ lunch.....and getting ready for a Sunday ATV riding excursion. Busy day, but fun...fun...fun! Sunday I went to Muenster Texas and spent the entire day riding on wonderful trails and enjoying myself sooo very much. The weather was perfect for a day outdoor with friends who share my love of riding. Everyone brings food and we BBQ more food than we can eat. Texans love their BBQ. At the end of the day I was asked if I wanted to join the 'guys' on the last run of the day. They told me it was 'rough' and at any time I wanted to stop I could. Ok, the challenge was on and I quickly grabbed a helmet and jumped on my little red ATV. The ride was fast and bumpy to say the least, but I kept up with all six of those guys. I was riding with adrenalin flowing rapidily through my veins and I was letting nothing stop me to stay up with the 'pack'. That is until I hit a rut and WHAM.......I fell. Don't exactly know what made me fall, but I would think it was the speed that took me out......more than the rut!! As I laid on the ground wrenching in pain.....I was mad at myself for wiping out. Humiliated that I allowed such a small rut knock me off my bike. I was struggling to get up and one of the guys came over and asked me if I was okay. "I think so." He asked me if I thought anything was broken.....with that a resounding "Gosh, I hope not!!!" All I was picturing was a helicopter ride back to town and all the costs that would surround me if I had broken something. With that picture in my mind, I grabbed his hand and allowed him to stand me up. I hurt!! My pride more than the pain in my hip. Truthfully I was praising myself for wearing a helmet.....something I don't normally wear when I ride. I got back on the ATV and continued the ride. The rest of the ride was more scary than my fall. Up and down hills that were clearly over my abilities, but I gave it my usually....I can do this!! Finally I said uncle and we returned back to camp. I am glad I took the challenge and rode with those guys, but my days of trying to go on trails that should be left to the younger guys is definitely over!! I will continue to stay on the trails and river beds that suit me just fine!!

I remember my birthday when Tony was two. He and I were on an ATV and wiped out. My head hurt.......my body hurt......but all I was thinking was.....have I hurt my son?? I remember scooping him up out of the dirt and checked him over for anything broken. He just looked at me and was laughing. The kid had no idea how close we came to being hurt. He talked about that incident for a long time.....all these years have come and gone and I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

All in all it was a great birthday weekend. Today my hip hurts....it is turning black and blue, but I am proud of myself that I rode hard and fast and was able to stay up with a bunch of teenagers and men. But mostly......I have a desire to wear a helmet now......it is the only thing that saved that hard head of mine from cracking open!! Helmets give you 'helmet hair', but they do so much more than that.......saves your life!!! I am sure Summer and my Dad will be saying.......finally she has gotten smart and is listening to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment