Friday, May 16, 2008

Gardening feeds the soul......















Gardening has become a passion for me. Until I moved to Texas I really did not garden. I had a beautiful backyard in California, but someone else was making sure every plant and flower was carefully planted and cared for......I just reaped the fruits of someone else's labor. I come from a family who has always enjoyed "playing" in the garden so, I can't really explain why it took me so long to get my hands "dirty"....but dirty my hands have become and are likely to stay that way until my front and backyard are completely planted! I keep a journal of all I have done in the past year and I take lots of pictures to show the progress of my garden. Tending a garden is like having children in your home.....you have to nurtured it constantly pray over it, and if you do go away for the weekend.....well, in this hot sun of Texas......ya'll need a friend to water for you or your plants are gone in just a couple days. I have taken an empty canvas and am in the process of turning the yard into a thing of beauty. I am happy to say my yard is looking good, but the most important thing about gardening.....it makes me happy! This is my second summer in Texas and I have learned quite a bit about Texas gardening.......there is a saying here..."what the sun doesn't get.....the bugs will!!" Bugs.......lots of bugs!! Last year a neighbor of mine was always giving me packets of seeds....fertilizer....and helpful tips of working the awful Texas clay.....thanks Matt. Another neighbor of mine, Bobby, helped me turn over the soil in the flower beds with one of his electric spades he uses in his foundation business. His wife, Nimia, and I helped each plant one another's flower beds. Friendly people these Texans!! One of my favorite flowers (besides the Texas bluebonnet I planted) is the Diamond Frost plant shown in the pictures. Lots of tiny white flowers which attract the most beautiful butterflies.
(These pictures are from last year.......I have enlarged the front flower beds and soon as the new plants have grown a bit more I will proudly post those as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment