Friday, September 26, 2008

Sounds like rain.......



A few weeks into spring I noticed two little baby squirrels running around my backyard playing in the Pecan trees and drinking from the dish I had set out for the many beautiful birds who eat from my bird feeders. I thought they were so cute and enjoyed watching them play....I even didn't mind them occasionally eating from the bird feeders....after all they were babies and needed to eat too!! Well, it's autumn now and those two baby squirrels have grown up and are still playing in the yard, but I no longer think of them being cute!! They are not eating from the bird feeders any longer........no, they have found something they like soooo much better. My pecans!! Those two little squirrels have brought their sisters and brothers with them to my backyard to dine in my trees and they have almost completely stripped my trees of every pecan. When you are in the backyard you can hear the bits and pieces of pecans (whole ones too!) fall from the trees. It sounds like it is raining when all six of the squirrels are dining!! Bits of pecans fall on the bricks below and the toxic shells are staining as they fall......purple splotches everywhere!! Sometimes those stupid squirrels drop untouched pecans to the ground......which rather makes me mad. Such a waste of good pecans.....at least they could eat the whole nut! I have tried everything to get rid of them....throwing rocks, throwing fallen pecans, and even attempted to spray them with a hose. The squirrels just 'laugh' at me and continue to dine! I no longer think them cute.....they are destructive little beasts and I am buying a pellet gun for next year!! It's too late to save the pecan crop for this year, but next year............I am making squirrel soup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment